You hear it all the time. ”Drink more water!” But that brings up so many questions...How much? With meals? Bottled, ﬁltered, reverse osmosis, distilled? When I heard about Dr. F. Batmanghelidjiʼs book, Your Bodyʼs Many Cries for Water: Youʼre Not Sick; Youʼre Thirsty, I knew I should take the time to read it.
Most of us believe that a dry mouth is an indicator of dehydration, Dr. Batmanghelidji explains that it is actually a sign of extreme dehydration. He believes that the body signals its need for water by producing pain. Here are a few statements from the book:
• The body is made up of 75% water, and brain tissue is 85% water. It needs water to function properly!
• Thinking that other beverages are substitutes for water is a “catastrophic” mistake. In reality many of them contain dehydrating agents.
• Damage occurs in the body when there is a persistent level of dehydration.
• The various signals given by the body during severe or lasting dehydration are often diagnosed as unknown disease conditions.
• Medical practitioners have been taught to silence the bodyʼs signals of dehydration with chemical products. Few treatments for disease are curative, most only suppress symptoms. Examples: hypertension, high cholesterol, allergies, asthma, arthritis.
• Every function of the body is dependent on adequate water supplies.
• The body can be dehydrated even when abundant water is available.
• It is estimated that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. Meaning the body
has a persistent water shortage that has been established for some time.
Areas of health addressed in the book are dysphesia, colitis and hiatus hernia. Pain related to rheumatoid arthritis, lower back, neck, angina, and headaches are also discussed. As well as stress and depression, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Dr. Batmanghelidji even connects weight gain to dehydration.
It all sounds to good to be true! Water to reverse disease, reduce pain, and lose weight? It does and it doesnʼt. With a little searching online you can ﬁnd lots of reasons for upping your water consumption. Even the Mayo Clinic website recommends the old 8x8 theory of 8 eight ounce glasses each day!
How much water? Dr. Batmanghelidjiʼs recommendation is to drink 1/2 ounce for each pound of body weight. That calculates to a 130 pound women drinking 65 ounces per day. Also, donʼt expect your body to become hydrated in a day. You must drink this amount consistently to achieve full hydration and begin to reverse illness and disease. Because of chemicals and contaminants present in tap water, and the questioned purity of bottled water, Dr. Batmanghelidji recommends drinking ﬁltered water. .
Our family purchased a Berkey Water System from Apple Wellness. After years of trying different options we have found this to be an easy and reliable source of clean water.
Some of the features that we really like:
• Purity: Able to remove viruses, pathogenic bacteria, cysts, and parasites. Also removes chemicals such as chlorine, ﬂouride, arsenic, herbicides, pesticides, Trihalomethanes, VOCʼs, heavy metals and more!
• Convenience: No electricity or plumbing required. Assembles in minutes. Simple to operate and maintain.
• Economical: Each Berkey ﬁlter is capable of cleaning 3,000 gallons of water. Most systems use two ﬁlters. That equals 6,000 gallons of ﬁltered water. A family using 4 gallons per day would have to replace the ﬁlters every four years. This makes the cost of pure water under 2 cents per gallon.
• Easy: No more hauling and carrying of water from the store to home.
• Assurance: Havenʼt you ever wondered how many chemicals have leached from the plastic bottle into your “pure” water? I recently learned that bottled water can be contaminated if the ﬁlters arenʼt maintained properly, introducing mold and bacteria.
• Healthy: Both distilled and reverse osmosis water have a pH of between 5 and 6. With a Berkey system you preserve the neutral or alkaline level of your water. Plus the Berkey removes contaminates but does not remove the minerals present.
• Survival: Okay, this seems rather dramatic but we have all become aware of the increasing natural disasters cause a disruptions in electricity, water, sanitation... This system is powerful enough to utilize almost any outside water source and transform it into safe and good tasting water.
This is an aspect of our health that we generally ignore. My husband and I have experimented with increasing our water consumption and discovered that we feel better when our bodies are hydrated. The difference was dramatic and surprising.
My advice to you: Drink more water! Drink pure water!
Batmanghelidji, Fereydoon, M.D. Your Bodyʼs Many Cries for Water. Youʼre Not Sick; Youʼre Thirsty. Donʼt Treat Thirst with Medication. Global Health Solutions, 2008.
This article was contributed by Kate Davison. Kate is currently attending The School of Natural Healing, founded by renowned Dr. Christopher, working toward her Master Herbalist degree. In addition to her interest in herbal healing, Katrina has spent much time researching natural, healthy ways to nourish and heal the body.